Tuesday, September 29, 2009

computers on the fritz make a crazy homelife...

Took care of my GGIRL tactics this weekend in a very stealth like manner:-)! It was actually kind of funny to see the red tassels jutting out from various art books. Couldn't find my camera so I had to use my cell phone for pics, and as soon as I throw my self on the mercy of my technologically advanced classmates I hope to have the pics uploaded to the blog.

The home computers were on the fritz all weekend on and off and it made everything a big deal. It is incredible how much we depend on technology. I don't know that it is a good thing to be tied to machines and not be able to complete simple tasks. For example: all of the class is proficient in Power Point having done it basically since they where born. I, on the other hand have only had one experience with it last semester and it took me 3 weeks to compose a 7 page presentation with pictures and text on the history of Toulouse-Lautrec. So, I availed my talents of cut and paste and went old school for my presentation. Good ol' foam core board, pics, text and glue...
We can't always rely on technology to accomplish the simple tasks in life, but we can always rely on good ol' fashion hard copy and scissors!

I would rather draw a human figure with charcoal and paper then use a graphic tablet to accomplish the same thing. There is something fundamentally pure and sound in creating with your hands without the assistance of a computer! Although my approach appears to be old fashion and nonsensical it also serves a purpose. It gives the artist an opportunity to use part of the brain that might not be challenged otherwise. And truth be told it could take me years and years to get the hang of this new fangled (sic) technology that my children were born into. So, I will accept that I am a relic if not a dinosaur of an age gone by and hope for the kindness of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment