Tuesday, October 6, 2009

fight grows over labels of household cleaners

NY times had a very interesting article concerning the ever changing dynamics between manufacturers and the consumer. There where several valid points that should be considered by anyone who is interested in this subject:
- Can a company divulge their ingredients on the label of a product without losing revenue and product?
-How does the Manufacturer manage good intentions vs product trademarks?
-How does the manufacturer prevent knockoffs and still go green?
-What is the balance between product confidentiality and consumer education?

Even with the best intentions by the Manufacturers there is a lot to be figured out. How much information is relevant to the consumer and what information really matters? Will the label become a scientific lesson only informative to the people who speak it's language?

As a person with multiple allergies and sensitivities I can relate to needed information on a product label. But, even with the best intentions things can still go very wrong.

For instance I am extremely allergic to Latex and hypoallergenic products. While recovering from major surgery this summer I had a significant complications 2 weeks post-op and had to find surgical dressing that would not "eat" my skin. The adhesives in the Latex Free tape and sponges literally tore away flesh and have left amazing scars at the surgical site.

Now I consider myself an educated consumer when it comes to my specific medical conditions , but I still had to play russian roulette while I tried to stop the excessive trauma to my skin. At one point that was worse than my surgical complication. I spent countless hours over the last 3 months figuring out ways to let the skin heal as I searched for alternatives. Even with the expertise of my husband who is a physician, I was at a loss.

I can't blame the manufacturers for their lack of insight into my problems, but most rely on my own fund of knowledge to avoid things that will provoke another attack.

It is everyones personal responsibility to read the label products, ask questions and do research and hope that manufactures are doing the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment